fortran95 or c for a new stellar evolution program?

Piet Hut piet at ias.edu
Thu Nov 24 19:45:52 GMT 2005

Thanks, Bill, I think we are converging, since there wasn't a single
sentence in your lengthy email of a few minutes ago that I could take
issue with!  I still have to pinch myself getting these emails, from
all of you, since it sure does feel like I'm dreaming.

I fact, I have been dreaming about something like this, and this is
why I organized the first MODEST meeting.  But fun as all that talk
has been, over the last 3.5 years, I had a rather bittersweet reaction
to the Chicago meeting with 100 attendants: very glad that the whole
initiative has taken off, and at the same time a bit whistful about
the fact that all the talking had remained talk.  I am SO glad to
see this exchange, as the beginning of a real collaboration -- net as
a single team aimed at all writing papers together, that would be much
too rigid, but as a community project, tending a park together for all
of us to play in.

This is the spirit of open source at its best: don't ask/push/force
people to do something, but just start something exciting and able
and motivated people will knock on your door, on their own behalf!

Thanks again, Bill,

Piet