[Stellar-discuss] f95 + c + Ruby = okay on Mac. But what about linux?

Evert Glebbeek E.Glebbeek at phys.uu.nl
Tue Nov 29 09:07:19 GMT 2005

> For this to become a group project, by definition Bill should not have
> to be the person managing the source code version system.  Just like
> Ross was kind (and able) enough to quickly set up this email list, so
> someone else could easily set up such a system.

Ok, fair enough! Apart from open source communities offering services like
these (such as sourceforge), is there any scientific institute that offers
general acces to something like this?
I tried talking the computer department here into setting up a CVS server, but
the best I could do in the end was to put the repository on my own account
and make a web-based interface for it...

> Instead of CVS, I would strongly suggest to use svn, short for subversion:
> http://svnbook.red-bean.com/svnbook/book.html -- same idea, but more than
> a decade younger, and without many of the ennoying limitations of CVS (e.g.
> you can move files, even directories; a big deal for those who know CVS
> ;>). Jun and I have been very happy users of svn for the last two years.

I second SVN, although I've only used CVS up to now (SVN is apparently not
installed by default on workstations around here; it is available on the
server but it's annoying to login to a different computer all the time).
For those who want a quick overview on using CVS (but should be more or less
the same for SVN), I have one on my homepage,
http://www.phys.uu.nl/~glebbeek/cvs.html

> So if someone will set up an svn repository, that will be most of the work.
> Anyone can then learn quickly to use it.  On an everyday basis, you really
> use only two commands: "svn commit" will send copies of all that you've
> done recently to the central repositary, while prompting you for a short
> description of what it is you did (one-liner okay), and "svn update" will
> bring everyone else's contributions to your local computer.  Give both
> commands once each day that you're working, and that's it.  Bill, you
> will not have a serious chance to object that this is too difficult ;>).

I find myself using the `cvs diff' quite often too so that I can easily review
my changes before commiting.
I'm willing to setup an SVN repository somewhere, but I probably can't do it
on the Utrecht computer systems. At most, I would be able to do something
similar to the CVS system I did for our own evolution code, which is ok apart
from me being the only one with write acces to the repository - which isn't
that ok, actually. I could perhaps host it on my home machine, but that won't
be ideal since it only has a telephone number and it's not a dedicated server
anyway.

I'll have a go at getting Bill's example to run on the two Linux systems I
have at my disposal.

Cheers,

Evert
--
Evert Glebbeek, PhD student
Physics and Astronomy Department, Utrecht University