[Stellar-discuss] International School "Frontiers in Numerical Gravitational Astrophysics", Erice (Italy), june 27-july 5, 2008, 2nd circular

Roberto CapuzzoDolcetta roberto.capuzzodolcetta at uniroma1.it
Fri Aug 24 17:05:59 BST 2007

Dear colleague,

please find in the body text the Second, updated, circular of the Course
"Frontiers in Numerical Gravitational Astrophysics" that will be held
in Erice (Italy) since june 27 to july 5, 2008.
(web site: http://astro1.phys.uniroma1.it/ericeschool/index.html),
that you and/or your students may be interested in.

    I would appreciate if you may circulate it.

        Thank you in advance,   sincerely yours,

             Roberto Capuzzo-Dolcetta
         Univ. of Roma, La Sapienza, Italy

             co-director of the Course together with

             Richard Matzner
         Univ. of Texas, Austin, USA

                 SECOND CIRCULAR AND PRE-REGISTRATION
                 ===================================

         |FRONTIERS IN NUMERICAL GRAVITATIONAL ASTROPHYSICS|
         |   2nd Course of the International School on     |
         |   Astrophysical Relativity <<J.A. Wheeler>>     |
         | astro1.phys.uniroma1.it/ericeschool/index.html  |
         |                                                 |
         |   Ettore Majorana Foundation and Center         |
         |          for Scientific Culture                 |
         |                                                 |
         |           Erice, Sicily (Italy)                 |
         |           June 27 - July 5, 2008                |
         |                                                 |

INTRODUCTION
------------
This is the second Course activated in the frame of the
International School of Relativistic Astrophysics «JOHN A. WHEELER»,
whose 1st Director was John A. Wheeler, now Ignazio Ciufolini and
Richard Matzner.

It is dedicated to classic and relativistic dynamics of gravitating
objects and systems in astrophysics.

The web site of the Course, containing all the relevant information is:
http://astro1.phys.uniroma1.it/ericeschool/index.html

The Course will be hosted by the Ettore Majorana Foundation and Center
for Scientific Culture (http://www.ccsem.infn.it), in Erice, the
beautiful small middleval town located on a hill 750 m above the
sea level in the north west of Sicily, 15 km from Trapani.

PURPOSE OF THE COURSE
---------------------
This second course of the "International School on Astrophysical Relativity
<<John Archibald Wheeler>>" aims to be a formative event for students
who want to get in touch with international top-level scientists and
researchers
in the field of Numerical Astrophysics, providing also a unique chance to
exchange opinions and ideas on the hottest topics in that field.
To this purpose, students will be allowed to PRESENT their current
research activity
in form of posters, whose summary will be PUBLISHED in the School
Proceedings.
To attest their proficient participation to the School, a proper
CERTIFICATION
will be issued by the scientific organizers.

This Course has the scope to gather some of the best experts in
computational
simulations for the study of gravitating systems in astrophysics, in
order to allow
them to present their knowledge and expertise to deeply motivated
students at the
graduate level, as well as to young researchers.
The main aim of the Course is that of clarifying whether and when the
classic Newtonian approach fails and General Relativity is needed to
approach
reliably the complicated non-linear aspects of the physics involved.
Consequently,
the differences in the numerical and computational schemes approaches in the
classic and relativistic cases will be illustrated and discussed. A
small fraction of
time is dedicated to the handling and visualization of the huge amount
of data output.

     Lectures will be on:
Stars: formation, and final evolutionary phases; compact interacting objects
and gravitational waves; stellar systems: from small to large N-body
problems;
simulating large and small scale structure in the universe.

PROVISIONAL LIST OF SPEAKERS
----------------------------
Sverre Aarseth           (Cambridge, UK)
Joshua Barnes            (Univ. of Hawaii, USA)
Stefano Borgani          (Univ. of Trieste, Italy)
Manuela Campanelli       (Rochester Inst. of Technlogy, USA)
Roberto Capuzzo-Dolcetta (Univ. of Roma, La Sapienza, Italy)
Valeria Ferrari          (Univ. of Roma, La Sapienza, Italy)
Jose' Antonio Font       (Univ. de Valencia, Spain)
Pablo Laguna             (Penn State Univ., USA)
Andrew MacFadyen         (Inst. for Adv. Study, Princeton, USA)
Richard Matzner          (Univ. of Texas, Austin, USA)
Anthony Mezzacappa       (Oak Ridge Ntl. Lab., USA)
Paolo Miocchi            (Univ. of Roma, La Sapienza, Italy)
Ben Moore                (Univ. of Zurich, Switzerland)
Ewald Mueller            (MPI, Garching, Germany)
Jerome Novak             (Obs. de Paris, Meudon, France)
Francesco Palla          (Oss. Astrof. di Arcetri, INAF, Italy)
Simon Portegies Zwart    (Univ. of Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
Luciano Rezzolla         (Albert Einstein Inst., Potsdam, Germany)
Joachim Stadel           (Univ. of Zurich, Switzerland)
Amedeo Tornambe'         (INAF, Roma, Italy)

PRE-REGISTRATION
----------------
Who is interested to attend the School is asked to fill the on-line
PRE_REGISTRATION
FORM available at the Course web site
http://astro1.phys.uniroma1.it/ericeschool/index.html

    Note that the number of participants is limited, in order to allow at
best the interaction with the speakers and  among students themselves,
so you are kindly required to fill the pre-registration form AS SOON AS
POSSIBLE.

    The registration fee (covering also FULL BOARD AND LODGING) is
1,000 euros (approx. 1,350 US$).

CONTACT:
--------
e-mail: paolo.miocchi at uniroma1.it
         (P. Miocchi, coordinator of the LOC)

         roberto.capuzzodolcetta at uniroma1.it
         (R. Capuzzo-Dolcetta, co-director of the Course)

         matzner2 at physics.utexas.edu
         (R. Matzner, co-director of the Course)

Phone: +39-06/49913573
Fax:   +39-06/4463158
webpage: http://astro1.phys.uniroma1.it/ericeschool/index.html

prof. Roberto CAPUZZO DOLCETTA     Roberto.Capuzzodolcetta at uniroma1.it
Dipartimento di Fisica, Universita' di Roma La Sapienza
P.le A.Moro 5, I-00185, Roma, Italy
phone: 39-06-49913573 fax:   39-06-4463158
consigliere CUN area Fisica
home page http://astro1.phys.uniroma1.it/dolcetta/dolcetta.html