[Stellar-discuss] School "Frontiers in numerical gravitationa astrophysics": applications open up to June 15

Roberto CapuzzoDolcetta roberto.capuzzodolcetta at uniroma1.it
Tue Jun 3 09:35:36 BST 2008

Dear friend,

some places are still available to attend the J.A. Wheeler School
on "Frontiers in numerical gravitational astrophysics" at the Center
E. Majorana in Erice, since june 27 to july 5 2008.

For this reason, to allow who wish to participate we decided to postpone
the deadline for registrations to JUNE 15.
See the Course web page astrowww.phys.uniroma1.it/ericeschool/index.html

We remind that the Course is devoted to fundamental physics and methods
to attack astrophysics problems where gravity (both classical and
relativistic) is crucial. The Course is mainly dedicated to both MS
students in Physics and/or Astrophysics, PhD students and post doc as
well as young researchers in Physics or Astrophysics.

Please, advice as much as you can of this opportunity your students
and other people who may be interested in.

         Thank you,   sincerely yours

         Roberto Capuzzo Dolcetta (Dep. of Physics, Sapienza Un. of
Roma, Italy,
         Richard Matzner (Un. of Texas, Austin, USA)
         directors of the Course

FINAL CIRCULAR

|FRONTIERS IN NUMERICAL GRAVITATIONAL ASTROPHYSICS|
| 2nd Course of the International School on |
| Astrophysical Relativity <<J.A. Wheeler>> |
|astrowww.phys.uniroma1.it/ericeschool/index.html |
| |
| Ettore Majorana Foundation and Center |
| for Scientific Culture |
| |
| Erice, Sicily (Italy) |
| June 27 - July 5, 2008 |
| |

IMPORTANT: TO HAVE APPLICATION ACCEPTED PLEASE FILL THE REGISTRATION
FORM AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. AT THIS FINAL STAGE OF THE ORGANIZATION,
WE MAY ACCEPT PARTICIPANTS JUST ON THE APPLICATION DATE AND TIME, UNTIL
MAX NUMBER OF PEOPLE IS REACHED.

INTRODUCTION
------------
This is the second Course activated in the frame of the
International School of Relativistic Astrophysics «JOHN A. WHEELER»,
whose Directors are Ignazio Ciufolini and Richard Matzner.

It is dedicated to classic and relativistic dynamics of gravitating
objects and systems in astrophysics.

The web site of the Course, containing all the relevant information is:
http://astrowww.phys.uniroma1.it/ericeschool/index.html
The Course will be hosted by the Ettore Majorana Foundation and Center
for Scientific Culture (http://www.ccsem.infn.it), in Erice, the
beautiful small pre-medieval town located on a hill 750 m above the
sea level in the north west of Sicily, 15 km from Trapani.
See astrowww.phys.uniroma1.it/ericeschool/location.html
for something more about the School location.

PURPOSE OF THE COURSE
---------------------
This second course of the "International School on Astrophysical
Relativity <<John Archibald Wheeler>>" aims to be a
formative event for students who want to get in touch with international
top-level scientists and researchers in the field of Numerical
Astrophysics, providing also a unique chance to exchange opinions
and ideas on the hottest topics in that field.
To this purpose, students will be allowed to PRESENT their
current research activity in form of posters, whose summary
will be PUBLISHED in the School Proceedings.
To attest their proficient participation to the School, a
proper CERTIFICATION will be issued by the scientific organizers.

This Course has the scope to gather some of the best experts
in computational simulations for the study of gravitating
systems in astrophysics, in order to allow them to present
their knowledge and expertise to deeply motivated students at the
graduate level, as well as to young researchers.
The main aim of the Course is that of clarifying whether
and when the classic Newtonian approach fails and General
Relativity is needed to approach reliably the complicated
non-linear aspects of the physics involved. Consequently,
the differences in the numerical and computational schemes
approaches in the classic and relativistic cases will be
illustrated and discussed. A small fraction of time is
dedicated to the handling and visualization of the huge
amount of data output.

LECTURES will be on:
Stars: final evolutionary phases; compact
interacting objects and gravitational waves;
Stellar systems: from small to large N-body problems;
Simulating large and small scale structure in the universe;
Supercomputing methods and tools.

LIST OF SPEAKERS
----------------------------
Sverre Aarseth (Cambridge, UK)
Joshua Barnes (Univ. of Hawaii, USA)
Stefano Borgani (Univ. of Trieste, Italy)
Manuela Campanelli (Rochester Inst. of Technlogy, USA)
Valeria Ferrari (Sapienza, Univ. of Roma, Italy)
Jose' Antonio Font (Univ. de Valencia, Spain)
Claudio Gheller (CINECA, Bologna, Italy)
Pablo Laguna (Penn State Univ., USA)
Andrew MacFadyen (New York University, USA)
Anthony Mezzacappa (Oak Ridge Ntl. Lab., USA)
Ben Moore (Univ. of Zurich, Switzerland)
Ewald Mueller (MPI, Garching, Germany)
Jerome Novak (Obs. de Paris, Meudon, France)
Simon Portegies Zwart (Univ. of Amsterdam, The Netherlands)
Luciano Rezzolla (Albert Einstein Inst., Potsdam, Germany)
Joachim Stadel (Univ. of Zurich, Switzerland)
Amedeo Tornambe' (INAF, Roma, Italy)

PLEASE HAVE A LOOK AT THE TALK SCHEDULE AT:

http://astrowww.phys.uniroma1.it/ericeschool/program.html

REGISTRATION
----------------
Who is interested in attending the School and has not yet registered,
is kindly asked to fill in the on-line REGISTRATION FORM available
at the Course web site

http://astrowww.phys.uniroma1.it/ericeschool/index.html

The registration fee (covering FULL BOARD and LODGING, TRAPANI or
PALERMO
AIRPORT to ERICE TRANSPORTATION and the EXCURSION to Selinunte-Segesta,
as well as other initiatives) is 900 euros per participant.
The fee for accompanying persons is reduced to 400 euros, each.

CONTACT:
--------
e-mail: paolo.miocchi at uniroma1.it
(P. Miocchi, coordinator of the LOC)

roberto.capuzzodolcetta at uniroma1.it
(R. Capuzzo-Dolcetta, co-director of the Course)

matzner2 at physics.utexas.edu
(R. Matzner, co-director of the Course)

Dear registered applicant to the "Frontiers in Numerical Gravitational
Astrophysics" course of the J.A. Wheeler international School in Erice,

the beginning of the School is approaching.

The School announces to be an excellent chance to listen some of the
best experts giving lectures in the topic of the course, which is surely
one of the hottest in theoretical physics and astrophysics.
Moreover, schools in Erice are traditionally an excellent meeting point
for young student from all over the world.

The geographic environment of the School (Erice, on a hill overfacing
the mediterranean sea, in the north-west corner of Sicily) is
overwhelming, and the Center E. Majorana, hosting the Course, has a long
lasting tradition in organizing international schools.

This message is to remind you the next deadlines:

- Within june 10 you should pay at least 50% of the total school fee
(900 euro), i.e. 450 euro.
All the info for the bank trasfer, etc. are in:

http://astrowww.phys.uniroma1.it/ericeschool/form.html

The remaining amount can be payed in cash upon arrival.

Please, note that a cancellation refund can be given provided valid
reasons are presented.

- The Center provides a pick up service (included in the fee) from
Trapani or Palermo to Erice, so you are requested to give us your travel
details, filling the form that you find in:

http://astrowww.phys.uniroma1.it/ericeschool/travel.html

If you have not done it yet, please do it as soon as possible, to
arrange properly your pick up.

Last, but not least..., please kindly send me an answer to this email,
just to confirm us your participation.
You may simply reply to this message, writing in the "subject" field the
words "confirm participation".

Looking forward to meeting you in Erice, do not hesitate to contact either

roberto.capuzzodolcetta at uniroma1.it (co director of the Course)

or

miocchi at uniroma1.it (chairman of the LOC)

for further information,

Sincerely yours,

for the organizers,

Roberto Capuzzo Dolcetta (Sapienza, Univ. of Roma, Italy)

Richard Matzner (Univ. of Texas, Austin, USA)
Roberto CAPUZZO DOLCETTA     Roberto.Capuzzodolcetta at uniroma1.it
Dep. of Physics, Sapienza, Universita' di Roma
P.le A.Moro 5, I-00185, Roma, Italy
phone: 39-06-49913573 fax:   39-06-4463158
member of CUN board, Astronomy PhD program coordinator
home page http://astrowww.phys.uniroma1.it/dolcetta/dolcetta.html