Minutes of meeting of the SRCF Executive on Friday 15th June 2012
Date/Time: 2012-06-15 15.30 - 16.30
Location: Trinity Hall Fellows' Garden, SRCF Garden Party 2012
In Attendance: Ben Millwood (Chair), Amar Sood (tekacs, Secretary, Sysadmin), Charles Board (Junior Treasurer), Matthew Ireland (Publicity), Malcolm (Sysadmin)
- Briefly discussed Ben's potential graduation (hopefully not!) and contingencies.
- al552 (Andrew Lee)
- amr66 (Andrew Ryrie)
- tg307 (Tejas Guruswamy)
- The above sysadmins met with Ben, Daniel and Malcolm.
- On the basis of impressions from this meeting, all sysadmins unanimously approved.
- Action(Sysadmins): Set up anything remaining for new sysadmins.
- Handled by Matthew
- Expected to ship within 4 weeks.
- Delivery charge to be covered by Matthew (thanks!)
- Signatories have been changed as appropriate.
- Action(Ben): Check if Charles may be provided HSBC account access.
- Would like to bring a laptop and possibly coordinate card-based automatic sign-ups.
- USB drives are a no.
- Would prefer to stick to flyers/cards/posters/graphics for promotion.
- Would however be nice to do something that will stick out and not simply be thrown away.
- Further discussion need go into the exact materials used, must be ordered.
- Action(Committee): Book and pay for the Freshers' fair.
- Action(Amar): Determine how to sign students up at the Freshers' fair using only their University cards.
- Have as many sysadmins as can safely and competently be set up at the moment.
- Sysadmin population is aging, however (non-student members considering leaving).
- Would like to sign up younger members to counteract this.
- Situation as at last meeting, to be investigated further.
- Malcolm expresses his long-standing wish to have the CUSU computing team and the SRCF become identical.
- CUSU's server purchase is still in stasis, awaiting a a reply to an e-mail sent to Malc.
- Amar determined to keep prodding at this until it goes through (new hardware, after all!)
- Action(Malcolm): Reply to the server-related e-mail sent by CUSU.
- Intention is to upgrade Ubuntu if possible over the summer.
- Issue with newest versions is GNOME 3, as it requires 3D acceleration and can't sanely be controlled with NX.
- Can't simply use GNOME 2 and upgrade due to GTK 3.
- Switching to Linux Mint is a possibility, but would required fork of parts due to opinionated-ness.
- Action(Sysadmins): Investigate possible software upgrade paths that preserve the desktop service.
- Set up anything remaining for new sysadmins.
- Investigate possible software upgrade paths that preserve the desktop service.
- Book and pay for the Freshers' fair.
- Check if Charles may be provided HSBC account access.
- Determine how to sign students up at the Freshers' fair using only their University cards.
- Reply to the server-related e-mail sent by CUSU.
Finished @ 16.30