Minutes of SRCF executive meeting, 9th May 2016
The meeting was held on Monday 9th May 2016, between 6:20pm and 7:50pm, at The Castle Inn, Cambridge.
- Charles Board (Chair, Sysadmin,
- Souradip Mookerjee (Secretary, Sysadmin,
- Tejas Guruswamy (Sysadmin,
- Malcom Scott (Sysadmin,
- Lev Livnev (Sysadmin,
- Ping Liang Tan (Sysadmin,
- Raf Czlonka (Sysadmin,
cvrb2has submitted a request for the Trinity Hall Fellows Garden on 17th June 2016 from 2-5pm, won't hear back until the 20th May.
- Action Souradip: Email OpenMarket for sponsorship
- If OpenMarket is not helpful, we might need to use the money left over from accounts after getting malc his disks (or think about how much pizza we can have)
- Emails work, authorisations work
- Action Tejas: Negotiate with Dexter about whiskey and things
Email deletion request
- Action Sysadmins: Get Bob to clarify with tackling an issue regarding to a takedown request.
- Removed all mentions of
- We anticipate a large increase in email provision.
- We should modernise our email services.
- Replace mbox files with separate mail store box in modern format that scales well and searchable. Let users know in advance (very few people using it).
- Also, newsgroups - who should manage ucam.*? We just need to reply in a carefully worded way.
- Action Sysadmins should plan this.
- Happy with CamFM taking these servers, since we are not.
- Send reminder asking for donations
- Do not want to get into a position where we sell links on the website
- Bitcoin donation address?
- Do not want to put out bank details but will give out upon request.
- Do not want to put it behind raven in fear of blocking out donations.
- Tell HSBC not to accept direct debits for our accounts.
Disks for alto
- Approved for malc.
- Committee to bear in mind that donated servers may require more expensive disks, as we accept commitment to maintaining said servers.
- We might want a spare RAID card for emergencies (otherwise we will get about a week of downtime, ebay shows they are in the US).
- Action Sysadmins: Revisit this at a later meeting
Are any servers/hardware in danger of exploding?
- Spares in xen server pool - of one, failed but still on rack, other four still there
- If we get any spare cpu nodes, will throw them out
- We can organize some linux workshops to teach people about linux, since some people seemed to be interested during Freshers' fair
- Action Tejas: Plan and organize Linux workshop
- Action Sysadmins: the terms of service should be updated to reflect the current account cancellation policy
- More hackdays should be organized this term, and the previous interested sysadmins should be invited
- Action Organize a hackday
- Email as a hackday project?
- Action SRCF Post-exams Data centre IRL FPS game?
- Action External dinner at some point, perhaps near November. Give people a few months notice.
Inventories and emergency plans
- Action Make list of things we would buy if everything died all at once and appropriate costs to replace pip.
- Get Bob to clarify with tackling an issue regarding to a takedown request.
- Email server upgrades
- Plan spare RAID card
- Make list of things to buy in case of extreme emergencies
- the terms of service should be updated to reflect the current account cancellation policy
- Design the stash
- Email OpenMarket for sponsorship
- Order the stash after design is decided
- Plan and organize Linux workshop
- Organize a hackday
- SRCF Post-exams Data centre IRL FPS game?
- External dinner at some point, perhaps near November. Give people a few months notice.
- Make list of things we would buy if everything died all at once and appropriate costs to replace pip.
- Organize a hackday