Minutes of SRCF executive meeting, 13th February 2018
Minutes of the Executive Meeting held in Robinson College Bar from 20:00 on Tuesday 13 February 2018.
- Dexter Chua (Chair, Sysadmin,
- Charles Board (Junior Treasurer,
- Will Earley (Publicity,
- Malcolm Scott (Sysadmin,
- Edwin Bahrami Balani (Sysadmin,
- Richard Allitt (Minister of Defence,
Summary of action points:
- Email Bob Dowling about GDPR.
- Organise an AGM this Term.
- Email the anonymous donor.
- Ask CyberSoc if they "intend to use smog".
- Continue looking for Trinity Hall email for Garden Party
- Email suspended user to reinstate account
- Currently unclear how responsibility will be shared between societies using the SRCF to store data and the SRCF itself
- There are different clearly-defined activities including data storage, data processing, etc.
- Talk to Bob Dowling (Senior Treasurer) about the GDPR and how to proceed
- Action: Dexter to email Bob
2. Garden party
- OpenMarket still to send money for last time
- Action: Charles to continue looking for Trinity Hall email for garden party
3. Terms of Service
- Dexter: may be better to deal with GDPR first
- Should email users with notice period prior to any planned ToS changes
4. Decision on suspended account
- User ran a Tor exit node for ~1 day; violated ToS and CUDN rules
- Was apologetic and recognised their wrongs in their reply to sysadmins' notice of account suspension
- A vote of those present from the Committee was held on a motion to restore the user's account:
- Three in favour, none against, none abstaining. The motion passes.
- Action: Sysadmins to email the user regarding restoration of account
5. Brief sysadmins' report
- Main issue is that if all the recently-donated servers are turned on at once, the UPS complains
- May want to retire some servers, e.g. those that restrict VM pool capabilities
- Re. Third Light’s offer of servers last year: Dexter emailed them but received no reply.
- Perhaps a bad idea to buy servers currently as current CPUs are awful (Spectre/Meltdown). Malcolm reckons first generation of new CPUs will have bugs.
- pip is doing well, especially since web hosting has been outsourced to sinkhole
6. Any other business
- New Control Panel & Bootstrappified website launch: noted to be awesome.
- Thanks be to Richard Allitt (rsa33, co-opted Minister of Defence).
- Action: Dexter to organise AGM by end of Term.
- Would be good to have more (undergraduate, particularly) student members of Committee.
- Could/should ask the people attending Hack Days to help recruitment.
- Action: Dexter to email a former user who anonymously donated £1000.
7. smog & the future of the VM cluster (AOB but deserves a subheading)
- smog and pip are similarly spec’d machines funded by a CL grant from GCHQ
- smog is currently very unused and lives in SRCF rack at Mill Lane.
- Last use of smog was April 2017.
- Meant to be used to quickly spin up personal VMs for cybersecurity/CTF-type events run by CyberSoc, and run by the SRCF on behalf of Frank Stajano in return for pip
- Current environment around smog is deliberately paranoid, since it’s meant for people to break into (VMs running on) it
- Best to approach CyberSoc about it; they are still in existence and active (last mailing list post on Jan 2018)
- Need to see what plans, if any, CyberSoc have to use smog in future
- There are currently: 1 ‘newest’ VM host (cirrus, from Peterhouse donation), 3 ‘new’ ones (of which one is winnie.cusu) and 5 ‘old’ VM hosts.
- Based on RAM capacity (main limiting factor for VM hosts), smog could replace ~4-5 of the ‘old’ hosts (which are currently in cold standby to carry the load in maintenance periods)
- In combination with some donated Retrosnub machines, smog could replace all of the old VM capacity and possibly then some.
- If smog and another CUSU server were added to the VM pool, should be able to remove the oldest of the existing VM hosts from the pool
Action: Dexter to ask CyberSoc if they “intend to use smog”
The meeting closed at 21:52.