fortran95 or c for a new stellar evolution program?

Piet Hut piet at ias.edu
Tue Nov 22 15:29:49 GMT 2005

Hi Bill and All:

We think that's exactly right, Bill, to take Frank's suggestion about
a heterogeneous set of tools without language restrictions, but with a
homogeneous and coherent high-level framework with a single suitable
language.  Plugins, testbed, it all sounds like a dream-come-true;
We've never seen such things in the legacy codes that We're familiar
with in astrophysics.  This is the beginning of an exciting journey!
And the sheer presence of a testbed is guaranteed to increase the
quality of the (astro)physics enormously, and undoubtedly will lead to
new insights in the physics itself.  So far, computation has largely
obscured the physics in most legacy codes.  Let's make the computation
transparent so that we can focus on the physics!

Jun and Piet