fortran95 or c for a new stellar evolution program?

Stephen Justham sjustham at astro.ox.ac.uk
Thu Nov 24 13:05:12 GMT 2005

Hello all,

I just wanted to strongly support the thoughts of Ross (and others) on
modularity. The convergence problem he alludes to is worth a _lot_ of
thought too, not just for playing with input physics but because stability
of binary mass transfer is currently not good enough. But of course, if we
can swap the solution schemes, we can play with improving that too: fun!

(I also acknowledge that understanding, writing and modifing stellar
evolution codes takes far, far longer than learning programming languages
does, so the best tool(s) should be chosen... even if it's C... .)

Best wishes,

Stephen