fortran95 or c for a new stellar evolution program?

Piet Hut piet at ias.edu
Fri Nov 25 19:20:42 GMT 2005

Hi Bill:

> In that spirit, I'm in the process of making the first of many
> mistakes along the road to something useful.  My normal mode of
> operation would be to keep my many failures to myself and just share
> something that may be the 6th or 7th complete implementation.  But in
> this case, it seems appropriate (if painful) to share the failures
> along the way too.  Perhaps that's the level of "open source" sharing
> that's appropriate for now -- pre-alpha releases of flawed but
> complete implementations to kick around.

Yes, I think that is THE main difference between working with others
in a parallel rather than serial mode.  Jun and I have proposed the
notion "open knowledge" as an extension to the notion "open source".
See  our ACS web site "http://www.ArtCompSci.org", or go directly to

   http://www.artcompsci.org/ok/vol/vol-0/doc/files/_/_title_ok.html

for html, or to

   http://www.artcompsci.org/ok/vol/vol-0/volume0.ps.gz

for postscript, or to

   http://www.artcompsci.org/ok/vol/vol-0/volume0.pdf

for pdf.

Wer wrote this manifesto a few years ago, and perhaps we'll have to
update something (I hope we've learned something in the last few
years ;>).  Any and all comments very much welcome!

Piet