Welcome to the SRCF!
(Home of the University-wide shared Linux system)
The Student-Run Computing Facility is a volunteer-run student society that provides free, useful and flexible computing and network services for University of Cambridge staff and students of all degrees of ability.Create an account »
Message of the day
64) 07.03.2022 ================================================================ SRCF Annual General Meeting 2023 | Sun 12 Mar, 3pm, CUED Please nominate yourself for a role: email firstname.lastname@example.org Further details: https://lists.cam.ac.uk/sympa/arc/soc-srcf/2023-03/msg00001.html ================================================================ 65) 14.03.2022 The AGM was successful -- good luck to the new committee!
Looking for a Hermes replacement? We've got you covered!
The UIS have announced the retirement of the in-house Hermes email system with the preferred migration being to Microsoft's proprietary Exchange Online system.
The SRCF has run its own open-source mail system, called Hades, for many years. It is fully standards (IMAP/SMTP) compliant and works with any mail client or via the web client, called Roundcube (which is what Hermes runs). Click below for more information and to forward your Cambridge email address to the SRCF.Setup my @cam »
Our volunteers maintain a selection of free services for thousands of members of the university. To name a few, these are:
- website hosting with a rich variety of features
- standards-compliant email and mailing lists @srcf.net
- 2GB of file or web space
- general purpose shell accounts on our servers hosted in Cambridge
- hosted Mattermost and Zulip instances
- ...and much more!
The Student-Run Computing Facility (SRCF) is a volunteer-run student society at the University of Cambridge. We run our own servers hosted in-house within the university and provide computing services for thousands of staff and students.Learn what we do »
The SRCF is funded largely by donations from its users, for which we are very grateful. We can only spend as much as we have, so help us pay for our costs by donating as little as £3.
Do you ❤ open source like we do? Does managing large Linux systems sound interesting? Or perhaps getting your hands dirty with servers and hardware? Or even programming web apps and Python libraries?
As a student society that's completely independent from the colleges and university, we rely on the generous help of interested volunteers to keep the SRCF going. We welcome everyone regardless of technical background at any point during term. Come and talk to us even if you're not sure!
- Join our mailing list
- Chat with us on Mattermost, Discord or IRC
- Fill out the interest form
Scheduled vulnerable period
To aid in security procedures, the SRCF has a potentially vulnerable period, from 10pm to 12 midnight on Saturday nights. During this time the sysadmins may reboot the server without much prior warning.
Learning & education
You can find a few tutorials made by us in our documentation learning section (help needed!). Ask us if you're looking for a recommended resource to learn anything, we'll be sharing a few of our favorites soon on a new page.
Is your company interested in sponsoring the SRCF? We have plenty of benefits to offer as we are one of the largest societies in Cambridge. Read more about that here.Our current sponsors »